From signs and name cards, to bespoke save the dates and wedding invitations, calligraphy is an enduring wedding trend that continues to captivate brides and grooms and their guests. And luckily, Charlottesville is home to some gifted calligraphers, like Jen Maton of local If So Inklined. So, if you are interested in a wedding DIY project, or perhaps want to learn how to add an extra touch to your thank you notes, check out these tips from Maton for getting started in the beautiful craft:
- Take a deep breathe and relax. A glass of wine helps with that!
- Remember that when you press down on the pen, you will create thick lines and when you lift up you will create thin lines. Another way to put it is: the upstroke = thin and the downstroke = thick.
- Use only high quality tools and materials. A little extra money spent, goes a lot further. Cheap pens will result in frustration. The upcoming class teaches what different tools you can use to achieve modern brush lettering and where to buy them.
- Practice makes perfect! Practice sheets are the key to success.
- Have fun! The upcoming class is structured to teach you brush lettering in a low key ( stress free way ).
If you are interested in learning more about this beautiful art form, Maton is teaching a Modern Brush Pen Calligraphy class at local wedding venue Early Mountain Vineyards, this Sunday, February 24, from 1–3pm. Tickets can be purchased for the event here. You can also see Maton featured in Charlottesville Wine & Country Weddings, Volume 2.
Photos by Rachel May Photography
Wine & Country celebrates elevated living in the heart of Virginia Wine Country. Charlottesville Wine & Country Living, a semi-annual magazine of Life & Style in Jefferson’s Virginia, and Charlottesville Wine & Country Weddings, an art book celebrating elegant country weddings in Jefferson’s Virginia, are accompanied by the Charlottesville Wine & Country Shop in Ivy, VA, a beautiful lifestyle boutique featuring over 40 Virginia artisans with everything from tailgating essentials and Dubarry attire to locally made foods, award-winning Monticello AVA wines as well as craft beverages for your next event. Wine & Country Experiences are now also available and include exclusive tours and hands-on classes with leading professionals in the local farm-to-table and vineyard scenes.
At Ivy Publications, we’re inspired by the belief that by utilizing technology, working efficiently and attending to quality, we create publications that honor the reader and build a real connection with our local businesses. This belief has led to prosperous and long-standing relationships with our clients, who entrust us with their advertising and have enjoyed great success utilizing our niche publications to effectively reach their target markets since 1998.